We all love to celebrate Easter but do we really talk much about it after Easter Sunday? The 40 days that Jesus appeared to people AFTER His resurrection were arguably the MOST valuable days He spent on Earth. So many things happened because of His death and His resurrection and His ascension (going back into Heaven)!
Upon His death, Mark 15:37 reports that the veil which separated mankind from God was torn apart! This was so important! Since the institution of tabernacle in Exodus 26, we knew that God had to intentionally set Himself apart from the sin of mankind with a curtain that was intricately woven and more than 6 inches thick! This would not have torn easily, but Jesus’ death caused this to happen. This made it possible for us to approach God again because Christ’s blood covered over our sin (2 Corinthians 5:21)!
After this, Jesus appeared to His disciples (among hundreds of other people) to do two very important things:
- Luke 24:45-53 “He opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.”
- Matthew 28:16-30 He transferred His authority and told them to go into the world and spread the word.
Finally, His ascension meant that we could have the Holy Spirit with us at all times! (Remember that this was impossible before His death.) The disciples would definitely be jealous of us; as we are able to access His glory any time we want! They had to wait for Jesus to be with them in person but we don’t!
The Holy Spirit gives us 25/7 access to the following:
- An advocate who comforts us (John 14:26 says He is a “parakletos” in Greek, which means one who pleads another’s cause before a judge, a pleader, counsel for defense, legal assistant)
- A supreme teacher of God’s Word (John 14:26)
- Conviction of sin, which is a good thing! (John 16:8)
- Intercession on our behalf (Romans 8:26-34)